About Me

My photo
Thank you for visting my blog. When I started this blog, it was just the vehicle for which I had hoped to share photos of our life in Chicagoland with our loved ones, but it has turned into so much more for me. Life is ever evolving in our household and time no longer stands still. Every moment is precious and worthy of being captured and treasured. In addition, through my love of the camera, I have had the opportunity to meet and also capture moments in others' lives. It is my hope, with this blog, that when my memory fails me, the words and photos on this blog will remind of where we were. History...Through My Glass...

Monday, May 28, 2007

It Seemed Like a Good Idea...


Until we were actually hiking. We wanted to test drive Roan's SUV stroller on the trails at the arboretum, but we had to wait until he took his nap, and then we had to eat so we didn't get out there until 5:30p. No problem because the sun really doesn't set until after 7p, right? Fast forward 20 minutes into the walk; cicadas were not our problem. An antsy, whiney child was not our problem. We were attacked by MOSQUITOS! Lots of large mosquitos feasted on my little child. We brought one diaper with us--in case of an emergency--and ended swatting mosquitos away from Roan. We must have looked pathetic. Note to self--next time, pack mosquito repellant into Roan's diaper backpack.

Roan also decided to go into "Terrible Two Mode". He was squirming and crying and so we let him out for some exercise. Big mistake. He was walking very slowly as mosquitos are feasting on us. So we decide to leave him and keep walking, since our encouragement to him for walking like a big boy was falling on deaf ears. He seriously stood there watching us walk away, determined to break us for like five minutes. Can I say S-T-U-B-B-O-R-N? Choua goes to get him and he starts fake crying. We bring him back and trick him into sitting down again with water. I hate to use the word, but we have to trick him sometimes otherwise we get the hysterical crying or we get the arched back, dead weight.

Later on, Choua tells me that he did the same thing to his dad when he was little. I wonder if Roan will ever fear the possibility of being lost. Unfortunately, I cannot teach him that lesson without actually letting it happen. Some days, he tests me...I could almost let him get lost. Anyways, it was a good idea in theory. Later, we found a big mosquito bite in the middle of his forehead. I also found a little one on his back when I was giving him a bath.



I am really beginning to get discouraged with my picture taking. I wish I had more time to devote to it. Let me just say to anyone who thinks it--it is not the camera alone. I am not worthy of this camera! I NEED A MENTOR! I think it would take some journaling and really reviewing my settings in order to start getting colorful pictures. And then I have to work on my composition. Right now, I end up cutting out limbs a lot and then I also get too much in the background. And then there is the whole photoshop thing. I don't even know where to begin! I am so discouraged!


On Saturday, we basically didn't do much as a family. Roan and I went for a walk with the Santos' in the morning. Roan decided that he wanted to be in charge. It was a crappy, rainy day and then after nap, we went to the mall to play before I ended up at the Improv to see a comedian-It was another ladies' night. All three comedians were hilarious. I guess the main guy is famous, but I don't follow it much. (I know, I need to crop the photo to the right).


Yesterday, we started the day with a trip to the Antique market. All of my pictures are washed out. I don't know why, since I had it on the lowest ISO. I seriously need help with direct sun and indoor pictures! It was lovely there, but again, my kid cannot sit still so we decided to drive out the lake front, where the Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium, and the planetarium (sp?) are. It was a beautiful day! Too sunny, but beautiful. The lake was a shade of blue that one could only imagine and there were tons of sailboats out there. I tried to use my telephoto lens, but I'm still worthless when it comes to using this lens.





















We slept the parking garage for like an hour, since it was Roan's nap time and we didn't want to mess with a cranky two year old. Then we were off. It was tiring, but so worth it. Days this beautiful are meant for spending outdoors. Roan got to eat ice cream and hot dogs (he is sharing his hot dog with Daddy in the picture...in case you can't tell what he is doing) and run around like a little animal. I learned that my child is a little mouth! In between each great extinction, the exhibit had a movie. Roan loved it! He would run into the room and climb up onto the bench and then he would babble, fake giggle and make dinosuar sounds throughout each movie. Now I know for sure that I don't want him to really start talking yet, since I am not good at answering questions.


It was a great weekend! We were so lazy AND active! It's the first long weekend that we didn't try to sneak in a visit to the Twin Cities. It really allowed us to enjoy Chicagoland. We realized that there is so much to do and see here...and that we really should look for a babysitter because we'd like to spend some time as a couple also. Sometimes, I can't believe I made this little monster! He really is such a gift!


No comments: