About Me

My photo
Thank you for visting my blog. When I started this blog, it was just the vehicle for which I had hoped to share photos of our life in Chicagoland with our loved ones, but it has turned into so much more for me. Life is ever evolving in our household and time no longer stands still. Every moment is precious and worthy of being captured and treasured. In addition, through my love of the camera, I have had the opportunity to meet and also capture moments in others' lives. It is my hope, with this blog, that when my memory fails me, the words and photos on this blog will remind of where we were. History...Through My Glass...

Thursday, November 8, 2007

proud momma

I've been really torn about whether I should write anything, but I know that if this blog is any reflection of this time in my life, I will want to remember how I felt when this started. I have written before about my concerns over Roan's speech. I kind of set it aside as he started talking more and is even singing these days. However, I just never felt comfortable about my decision to forget about it.

A few weeks ago, I had him evaluated through his pediatrician's office. Although, time ran out, the speech therapist recommended that I get him tested through a state funded program, since they will give him a global assessment and the program is around him and his natural environment. She said that from what she could tell, his delay was not significant, but that he was not at the level that she wanted him to be.

I had a flurry of emotions following that meeting. I walked away feeling like I had failed my child. How could I have missed those essential needs of his? I tried to do all of the right things...to the capacity that I could have. I didn't have the ability. On the other hand, I was relieved to know that I was not just one of those paranoid parents. And now, I can get the help that is needed to give me the skills and tools to help my child.

I knew I wanted to proceed with having him tested through the state program. We have had two of the four assessments now and in both, the OT and the Speech, he is somewhat behind; although he does not qualify in the OT.

I fought with whether to reveal the results on here; not because I am ashamed, but because I am afraid that some will feel sorry for us. I don't in the least. To me, I still know that Roan is the most amazing, capable, intelligent, and perfect child. It's funny how when you go through something like this, you realize just how proud you are of your child(ren).

He has two more assessments, Nutrition and the Global Developmental Assessments. They are both on Monday morning. I can't wait to learn more. I am so intrigued by all of this and how much these things are intertwined.

Sorry...no picture(s) this time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't worry to much about it. I find that little boys are just naturally slower than little girls and they like to do things on their own time :-).

Anonymous said...

I have mentioned it a couple of times on my blog, but Max is in speech therapy right now through our local school district. We've been having someone come out to our house, once a week, since the middle of the summer. We were a little worried about his speech development in the beginning too, and although he is not speaking full sentences or anything like that, he has certainly improved since he started therapy. He is making the effort to speak more to get what he wants & so on.
Don't be so hard on yourself. I still cry, and wonder if I am doing everything I can for my child too.
Good luck on the assessment & let us know how it goes.
Please know that you are not alone in this.

Anonymous said...

You should be a proud mamma! R will be just fine. :)