About Me

My photo
Thank you for visting my blog. When I started this blog, it was just the vehicle for which I had hoped to share photos of our life in Chicagoland with our loved ones, but it has turned into so much more for me. Life is ever evolving in our household and time no longer stands still. Every moment is precious and worthy of being captured and treasured. In addition, through my love of the camera, I have had the opportunity to meet and also capture moments in others' lives. It is my hope, with this blog, that when my memory fails me, the words and photos on this blog will remind of where we were. History...Through My Glass...

Monday, July 21, 2008

just average

My flight to La Guardia was cancelled yesterday after two hours of delay. My boss says to me, "So, you want to travel, huh?" Four hours of a perfect Sunday was wasted. However, I did get to spend a couple more hours with my family. Roan was so happy to see me. I am on Long Island now, in my standard king room that is too close to the elevators {{angry face}}.

In my cab ride home yesterday, a rather husky and giant driver picked me up 25 minutes after I had called the ride in. Let's just say, I was a bit annoyed and had already started mentally deducting his tip. He kept talking to me in the thickest African accent. I just wanted to get home to my boys.

He asked me about my trip and I said I was still slated to go the next day and asked me about my job...at least I think that's what he was asking me. He asked me to set up his nephew who just got an MBA with a job at my company. I told him I was just a lowly worker and therefore, have no power. He then asked about my education and I plainly said that I had a Masters in Engineering. He was so excited for me.

This reminded me, yet again, that I need to be more positive and grateful for the life that I have. My parents raised us to downplay our "talents". Even now, during reviews, I have a hard time "bragging" about my accomplishments. The result, unfortunately, is that I sometimes don't think I'm very good at anything. I always believe that I am just average.

We talked more or as much as I could understand him about our cultures. In the end, I gave him the full tip. I guess flattery goes a long way with me. :)


And since no post is fun without a photo and I am on my work computer. Obviously an older photo since Roan's hair was still long.

No comments: